Perrysville Economic Development, Inc.
Double click here to add text.
THE GREEN/PERRYSVILLE JOINT FIRE DISTRICT
THE PERRYSVILLE LIONS CLUB
To empower volunteers to serve their communities, meet humanitarian needs, encourage peace and promote international understanding through Lions clubs.
To be the global leader in community and humanitarian service.
Lions were founded in 1917 in Chicago by Melvin Jones and other business leaders. Then in 1925 at the international convention in Cedar Point Ohio, Helen Keller challenged the Lions to become Knights of the Blind. Since then Lions have worked tirelessly to aid the blind and visually impaired. Since that time clubs all over the world have been working to help those in need. At last count we are over 1,388,251 members in over 200 countries and geographical locations.
The club here in Perrysville was chartered in 1951 by 25 concerned citizens. From that time till now we have been doing things for the community.Over the years we have purchased and donated items to the Fire Department, the Perrysville School, and the kitchen in the community center. Coordinated the purchased and maintaining , along with the putting up of the Christmas Lights here in Perrysville with the help of the Fire Department. Along with these we have purchased glasses for many people in Town over the years along with helping with hearing aids. All of the money we make from our monthly Swiss Steak luncheons goes back to the public in one way or another. If anyone in the community would like to belong to the worlds largest service organization this is the one.
For more information contact Past District Governor Dana Zody (419)938-6156 or (419)606-4891
In 1933 the Perrysville Fire Department was formed. It consisted of a one hand hose cart pulled by as many volunteers that showed up for a fire. In 1936 purchased used 1928 Dodge Fire truck with chemical extinguisher tank. Formed active Fire Department with twelve members, meeting once a month for training and equipment maintenance in the old town hall on Bridge Street next to Presbyterian Church. In 1939 held the first Firemen's Fair for the purpose of raising money for equipment and a future fire house which was held annually till 2003. In 1946 we acquired a lot and built the Fire Department that is now The Community Center. In 1948 we acquired a 1942 GMC Fire Truck with a pump from government supplies equipment. In 1949 we acquired a 1940 Buick Ambulance from Burgess Motors for the sum of $300.00. With the help of The Flexible Company firemen reconditioned the ambulance and thus was born Ashland Countys' first emergency squad. Since that time the Fire Department has continued to add all kinds of fire fighting and emergency equipment to the community.
In 2008 the name was changed to The Green Perrysville Joint Fire District
The Perrysville Firefighters' Association is a nonprofit 501(c)3 organization newly formed in 2016. All donations to the association is tax deductible.
Our present location is 181 E. 3rd Street. We are 34 members strong, with 2 Rescue Squads, A Rescue Truck, A Pumper.A Pumper/Tanker, 2 Tankers, 1 Grass truck/pick-up, 1 Utility pick-up, 1 4x4 for trail rescues, and a 6x6 for grass fires.
Anyone interested in joining, stop-in at the Fire House for a application.
Veterans of Foreign Wars Robert L. Frank Post #8586 was chartered November 1, 1946 with 31 chartered members. The post is named after Robert L. Frank, who was the first soldier from Perrysville killed in action in WWII. September 30, 1966 Post # 8586 was awarded the Perpetual Post Charter because of the number of life members they had. VFW # 8586 had 456 members for 2014 with the majority of the members holding life memberships. The Post home is located on St. Rt. 39, just outside the village limits on 39 east of Perrysville.
VFW eligibility information: The fundamental differences between our organization and other veterans organizations , and one in which we take great pride, are eligibility qualifications. There are three primary requisites for membership in the Veterans of Foreign Wars of the United States:(1) U. S. Citizen or U. S. National (2) Honorable service in the Armed Forces of the United States (3) Service entitling the applicant to the award of a recognized campaign medal or as set forth in the Congressional Charter and By-Laws and Manual of Procedure and Ritual. ( Must serve on foreign soil to receive an eligible campaign medal or ribbon.)
The Perrysville VFW #8586 Auxiliary was chartered May 6, 1951 with 27 chartered members. Eligibility to the Auxiliary is fathers, mothers, husbands, wives, widowers, widows, brothers, sisters, sons, daughters, grandsons and granddaughters who are age 16 or older and of deceased or honorably discharged Officers or enlisted persons of the Armed Forces who qualify to join the VFW. The objects of the VFW Auxiliary shall be fraternal, patriotic, historical, and educational ; to assist the Posts and the members of the VFW Auxiliary members; to maintain true allegiance to the Government of the USA and fidelity to its Constitution and Laws; to foster true patriotism; to maintain and extend the institutions of American freedom and equal rights and justice to all men and women; and to preserve and defend the USA from all her enemies.
The VFW does various fundraisers and gives generously through-out the community.
Any one with any questions or would like to join please call the VFW at (419) 938-5831.